PMA 2010 Report
The new model boasts a 0.2 megapixel CCD image sensor that combines with Nikon’s exclusive 3D Colour Matrix Metering II and auto white balance to produce quality shots that capture the vivid detail and true colour of the subject matter. The D40x is equipped with the compact, lightweight 3x 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens to provide superb picture sharpness and optimum contrast. The new D40x is also compatible with the 55-200mm VR Zoom-Nikkor telephoto and is ideal for extending the focal range as the user develops their photography skills. The new lens is fitted with an ED glass element, making it easier to achieve images with higher resolution and high contrast.
Nikon D40x D-SLR camera
The Nikon D40x has a near instant power-up and a continuous shooting mode which allows the keen photographer to capture 100 jpeg images at three frames per second. The integrated auto focus ensures that shots are crisp and clear and Nikon’s innovative i-TTL flash control evaluates ideal flash exposure to ensure the image light is always correct, whatever the conditions. An additional ISO 100 setting extends the ISO range over the D40 giving photographers the flexibility to shoot in a variety of conditions at ease.
Nikon D40x digital reflex camera - PictureProject software
An ample 2.5-inch LCD screen means the budding photographer can view, manipulate and navigate their images with ease. Unique Nikon innovations make it possible to manipulate the images in-camera, allowing amateurs to achieve professional results. Nikon’s unique D-Lighting function improves areas of underexposure in images taken with too much back light by creating a copy of an image with added light and detail wherever necessary, leaving well-exposed areas untouched. Photographers are also able to fix red eye at the touch of a button or use the monochrome effect to produce a black and white image. Nikon’s exclusive PictureProject software makes it easy to edit, organise, transfer and share the high quality images. The camera comes complete with a longer-life battery.
Nikon D40x SLR camera - Digital Vari program modes
For the creative photographer, Nikon’s user friendly scene-optimised Digital Vari-program modes helps the user to capture any scene with ease. The eight modes are designed to produce remarkable results by automatically calculating the best settings and ISO equivalent sensitivity for each scene.
Nikon D40x DSLR - Intuitive & simple operation
• The most compact Nikon digital SLR ever
• A large 2.5-inch LCD monitor with easy-to-view menus, large fonts and careful colour schemes for easy preview and setting changes
• Bright and clear viewfinder with 0.8x magnification for precise composition
• Long-life rechargeable lithium-ion battery that allows up to 520 images
• Handy images assist that helps photographers select the right camera settings
• Optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 for easy remote shutter release
Nikon D40x reflex camera - Superior image quality and resolution
• 10.2-effective-megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD sensor
• High-precision digital image processing algorithms for natural-looking pictures
• Nikon 3D Colour Matrix Metering II for exposures in any lighting condition
• Variable Centre-weighted metering and Spot metering centered on the focus area
• Auto White Balance for natural colours, plus six different manual white balance settings and user-defined preset white balance
Nikon D40x digital SLR - Fast & Precise responses
• Quick 0.18-sec. power-up to respond to every photographic opportunity
• Fast continuous shooting mode enables up to 100 JPEG images (FINE L-size or smaller) at 3 frames per second
• The fastest frame rates can be achieved by choosing manual focus, rotating the mode dial to S or M and selecting a shutter speed of 1/250 s. or faster, using defaults for all other settings.
• Advanced three-area AF system and refined algorithms for fast autofocus
• Versatile shutter speed control ranging from 30s to 1/4000s, plus bulb
Nikon D40x - Accurate automated and manual control
• Eight Digital Vari-Programs that adjust camera settings automatically for incredible scene-specific pictures. Selections include Auto, Auto (Flash Off), Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close Up, and Night Portrait
• Manual controls over shutter and aperture: P (Programmed Auto), S (Shutter-priority Auto), A (Aperture-priority Auto) and M (Manual)
• Automatic and manual control over ISO sensitivity from ISO 100 to 1600, as well as HI 1 (manual selection only) giving the equivalent of ISO 3200
• Simultaneous recording of NEF (RAW) and JPEG basic data for the same image
• Built-in Flash with Nikon’s dependable i-TTL flash control, supporting Auto flash, Red-eye reduction, Slow sync, Rear curtain sync and Flash exposure compensation
Retouch Menu for creative in-camera image edits & Effects
• Selections include D-lighting, Red-eye correction, Trim, Monochrome (Black-and-white, Sepia, Cyanotype), Filter effects (Skylight, Warm filter, Colour balance), Small picture and Image overlay
Seamless integration - Nikon Total Digital Imaging System
• Fully compatible (autofocus is supported) with AF-S and AF-I Nikkor lenses, which are equipped with an autofocus motor (Also compatible with most of the world-famous F-mount Nikkor lenses when in manual focus mode)
• Supports the Nikon Creative Lighting System when using the SB-800, SB-600, SB-400, SB-R200 or the R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight system for accurate exposures via iTTL flash and versatile wireless operation
• Nikon’s PictureProject software to share, organize and edit pictures with ease.
• Capture NX software (available separately) for creative photo editing with NEF (RAW), JPEG and TIFF images. Thanks to U Point technology, by Nik Software, radical and subtle image enhancements are as easy as a few clicks